May 28, 2014

A Phenomenal Woman

Earlier today, my students and I learned about the transition of Dr. Maya Angelou.   We discussed her life, work and contribution to the African-American community and the world.  People of my generation remember her work in the Civil Rights and Women's Right's movements.  My student's generation was introduced to her through Tyler Perry movies or social media, then later fell in love with her poetry.

Her advocacy on the issues of today provided us all with clarity and kept us on track.  For example, just earlier this month she tweeted about the tragedy of the Nigerian girls who were kidnapped by an extremist Muslim group in west Africa.
Being the creative group of teens that they are, my students worked in two groups and created two short tributes for this remarkable, phenomenal woman.   #RIP Dr. Maya Angelou!



No comments:

Post a Comment